If you want your car to run smoothly for a long time, it’s important to be a good car owner, which means taking great care of your car. This is especially true in the most extreme weather conditions, like we get here in Los Angeles -- and in the San Fernando Valley in particular -- when it’s hot outside. The heat can lead to big car maintenance issues if the problems aren’t addressed as soon as possible. So, it’s important to take your car to a mechanic like AutoAid to prevent Hot Weather Driving Damage from turning a small problem into a big problem. After all, a few minutes and a few dollars now can save you a lot of money and stress in the long run.
Hot Weather Car Maintenance
Yes, the heat can lead to your car’s engine overheating. However, it’s not the only hot weather car maintenance issue your car faces in the heat.
- Tires: It’s a good idea to regularly check your tires. However, this is especially true when it’s hot outside because the air pressure in your tire increases in hot weather. Hot air more easily leaks out, and then when the weather cools, your tires could be underinflated. Tires that are improperly inflated are unsafe and affect the gas mileage as well as the overall performance of your car. They also wear down more quickly .So, check your tires’ air pressure once a month by going to your local auto shop and buying a tire air pressure gauge to make sure it’s on point, or by dropping by AutoAid. If your tire's air pressure is deflated or they're worn out, we can inflate your tires for you. And if the tread is wearing down to a dangerous level, we can install new tires for you, too.
- Battery: Your car's battery is essential to your car's performance and the heat is its worst enemy. Heat causes battery fluid to evaporate which shortens the life of your battery dramatically. Carry jumper cables with you and regularly check your car’s battery terminals. If you suspect that your battery is losing its charge, come to AutoAid. We can test it for you and replace your battery if necessary.
- Oil: Motor oil is also essential to a car’s performance. If motor oil is left in the engine for too long it begins to break down. This results in a nasty sludge that will build up in your engine and damage its parts, rather than cooling and lubricating them. Cars need all the lubrication they can get to prevent Hot Weather Driving Damage, so this might mean more frequent oil changes with the proper grade of oil made for hot weather driving.
- Coolant: Coolant does what its name says -- it keeps your engine cool and protects it from overheating. In addition to changing the oil, you also need to replace the coolant in your car. Over time, coolant can become contaminated which affects its performance. Therefore, it’s important to regularly flush and replace your vehicle's coolant. Sound too messy for you to do yourself? No problem...we will check your coolant levels if you bring your car in for our free 38 point inspection.
- Air Conditioning: Of course on hot days you’re going to run your A/C a lot. However, neglecting to do things like replacing the cabin air filter, examining the belts, checking for leaks, and cleaning out any clogged vents can shorten the life of your A/C system. If small problems with your A/C system aren’t fixed as soon as possible, they’ll become big problems and will be very expensive to fix. If you’re going on a summer road trip, or just do a lot of driving around the San Fernando Valley, come in and we’ll inspect your A/C for you.
Preventing Hot Weather Driving Damage
Getting your car regularly checked is always a good idea...and an especially a good idea in the Valley heat. That’s because the more you take care of your car, the longer it will run well. This is especially true when it’s really hot outside.
Prevent hot weather driving damage by being aware of any car maintenance issues that might affect your car and its performance by getting your car serviced regularly. If you think or know you have a problem and you’re not sure how to fix it, bring your car to AutoAid. Call us at 818-305-6632 or make an appointment online today.